Sunday, August 16, 2009

Arrival

It seems like a fitting title, given the circumstances.

Yes, I have arrived in Accra, Ghana and am living in a house full Ghanaian laughter. My family is boisterous and large, with a plethora of incoming and outgoing relatives, "house help" girls that are treated like siblings, the Big Mama of all Big Mamas and now me, an "obruni" as they call the white foreigners. But before I introduce the family, I must tell you about Accra.

Akwaaba! Welcome to Ghana, the land of Sunshine, where Freedom and Justice guide the people.
Though as I write this I realize that the sun is what I have seen the least of since my arrival to an overcast, smoggy, generally hazy Accra. And yes, I must say I miss it. The sky. But, for the myriad of colors and faces and dresses and whir of action, I probably would not find myself sky-gazing all that often anyhow. This place is full of life, full of lush green trees, black and shining people who are always decked out in vibrant fabrics, full of smells- smoke, fuel, body odor, fish, fish, fish, open sewers, humidity, dust-- red dust from the sides of the roads, orangey like powdered Thai tea and contrasted perfectly with the greenery. And emerging from the dust are billboards, advertising Obama, CocaCola, black hair dye (?), and all along the streets are Vodafone adds, the leading cell phone, though competing for frequency are the patriotic colors of Red, Yellow and Green. Along the sides of the roads are people. Walking, biking, balancing baskets of dried plantains, peanuts, sashes of water, toilet paper, sandals, tires, everything and anything you can imagine on their heads, gracefully walking as though their necks were invincible. And the roads themselves? Basic rule: which ever car is fastest and which ever driver is riskiest gets the right of way. Cars slowing for people? Cars using turn signals? Cars staying in their own lanes? Do you WANT to get where you're going? (Whether or not you are alive is a minor factor). Yes. the roads are wild, because the traffic is terrible. If one doesn't accelerate to get the next spot, one might be stuck in the unmoving pile for another fifteen minutes. Accra is definitely another world, yet I am remided of my time in Thailand, which makes it seem like this world is not so large after all. Especailly when my host sister, Abena (not the 1 year old, this one is 14) taugth me the same game as I had learned from the Thais in a remote village- it is basically Jacks with rocks. And of course, being on my email doesn't make anything seem any bigger- except globalization.

So, I leave the Family unmentioned, but that will come in a later post. Know that I am well, I can't believe I have been gone only just over a week, and am very much looking forward to this year... and at the same time miss you all dearly.

One more note- my new name is Afia, meaning Friday born girl. There are basically 7 male and 7 female names in this area, that each person is called by, as well as any other names. One male and female name for each day of the week and you are named depeding on when you are born. Thus there are two Afias, two Abenas, four Kwabenas (at least), etc. in this one household. It makes me feel infintely a part of the clan when little 6 year old Jake/Kwabena retraces his steps through the house yelling "Afia, Afia" when I have lagged behind him, or when Akua says "Afia, you come pound da fufu". Yes, I have found a second, or third, home.

5 comments:

  1. Justine, I just wanted to say what a valuable record you are creating and that it means so much to the people that care about you... I look forward to reading your further adventures! Mr.M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start, Justine! Your description of Accra reminded me of Cairo. Especially the traffic :-) Hope you can upload photographs easily. Much love,
    Olya

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are on a ride in one of those cars. Hang on, relax in Your Seat, enjoy the view out the window, trust The Driver. - papa

    ReplyDelete
  4. jesse darling, you have imbarked on such an incredible adventure. i so admire your courag an open heart. this world that is our own and yet unknown to many sounds amazing. you will have to take me there one day. stay true to yourlsef yet allow yourself to grow. learn and share with this unique culture. ill always be here if you need to chat, or start feling homesick.
    i love you oodels!
    roxy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog, Justine. I've spent an hour on it and haven't been able to read it all. What a great experience!

    Renee just went back to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester for chemo and radiation treatment. She and Dan started a new blog at http://reneeandrochester.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete